Saturday, December 20, 2014

Solstice

In these dark days   
We remember that the    
Light is within us.

In these dark days 
We rest
With all of Nature.



~ Lori



This Yule, as I am observing the gifts I am about to wrap for my family and friends, I realize that the concept of *hygge, an idea that I learned about so many years ago, may finally be a fully integrated part of my **spiritual biome. I am far more excited about being with my family - eating good food, reading to my grandchildren, playing games, discussing what matters in life,  going for winter walks, helping with the chores on my sister's farm, convincing my granddaughter's it's time to sleep even when we are giggling so hard we can not breathe, napping - than any gift I am giving or anticipate receiving.

This year our family agreed to exchange gifts that are either handmade, re-used/re-purposed, a service, an item from a local merchant or artisan, or something of that nature.  The perimeters set us up to expect that no one is getting a new car with a bow on top or the latest electronic gadget or game.  In past years, my desire to find the right "thing" for everyone, was conflicted when supporting the financial and emotional hysteria of rampent consumerism and eco-unfriendly buying. With each credit card swipe I felt a storm of difficult emotions raining down on me.

I realize that all my adult years I have been in charge of how I handle the holidays; what I buy and for whom, what I expect from others.  But, I am pretty weak when it comes to buying into the dream that the perfect gift can bring hapiness (healing, forgiveness, acceptance, etc. etc.)  to giver and receiver. It is difficult to pass up the opportunity to buy tickets to the "I Can Make the Holidays Perfect for Everyone" show that comes to town each December.

For me, some of the darkness of this time of year is delivered to me via nightmarish memories of my family's "last chance of the year" to show me how much you  love me, disguised as celebrating a Savior's birth.  Often, poor communication, self-important assumptions, unrealistic expectations, and hollow promises and hopes - on my part and on the part of the other adults in my life - brought anxiety, disappointment, and sadness that lived on long after the last gift was broken, returned, or ignored.

This is a hard time for me, for many of us.  May we embrace the dark of the Solstice both symbolically and physically, readying ourselves for whatever may come our way for the rest of this year.  Remember to breathe and keep expectations real.  If you can, look past actions of those you are with (and your own actions) to see that most intentions are to bring happiness and light into the world.  That's my plan - a little hygge with a side of peaceful spiritual biome.

Embrace the darkness for a few days . . .

******************************

*hygge - a feeling of contentment, coziness, safety.  It is a Scandinavian word that defies translation into English.  I equate it with a feeling of oneness with all the Universe.  In Scandinavian countries there is good food, candlelight, and being with loved ones is associated with hygge as well. 

*spiritual biome - this is, as far as I know, my use of a microbiological term as a metaphor to explain the connection between emotions, thouhts, actions and well-being.  My spiritual biome consists of my diverse mental, emotional, and physical systems - guilt, expectations, influence, self-compassion, empathy, eco-activism, family, acceptance, love, etc. - that have adapted to the changes in my thoughts and actions over th years, therefore slowly changing my interior environment.


No comments: